Monday, February 24, 2014

My version of chicken cacciatore

I used chicken thighs and legs in this meal but you could also use chicken breast to lower the fat content. Next time I think I will remove the skins before I cook the chicken. Ingredients: One package of chicken legs and one package of thighs. (This amount would feed 7 of us, 3 being children with leftovers) One onion, sliced Two bell peppers, sliced (I used red peppers) 6-7 cloves of garlic, minced 4 cups chicken stock (I used homemade, recipe to come later) 3 cups tomato sauce 2 cups or one large can of diced tomatoes Salt and pepper 1 tablespoon oregano Olive oil Instructions: Heat a large pot (I use a Dutch oven) to medium high heat and put enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown a few pieces at a time in the pot. You aren't looking to cook it through you just want to brown the outside then set them aside on a plate. Keep browning a few pieces at a time until all of the chicken is browned. Next, add the sliced onion, pepper and garlic to the pan and season with salt and oregano. Cook for a few minutes then add the chicken stock, tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes and add salt to taste. Turn the heat down to a simmer and add the chicken back to the pot. Simmer on low until chicken is fully cooked. This will take about an hour. You can serve on brown rice or quinoa. This can also be cooked in the slow cooker. Any leftover can be used as a start for soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment