Friday, December 16, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

I tried my hand at shrimp and grits for the first time tonight and it turned out very well for my first time. I wanted to get the recipe down so I wouldn't forget it. It is super easy and fast. As I mentioned before some of the amounts are estimates.

two cups of chicken stock (one can)
1 cup of milk (I used 1% because that is what we drink)
I cup of water
I combined all of these in a pot and brought them to a boil then slowly added 1 cup of grits while whisking and turned the burner down to simmer and covered with a lid. They took about 5 mins to thicken.
At the same time I sauteed in olive oil in a cast iron skillet
1/2 onion diced small
1/2 cup bell pepper diced small
4 cloves of garlic diced
Seasoned with salt and pepper, red pepper and Italian seasoning
I seasoned one pound of deveined and shelled shrimp and seasoned them with salt, pepper, taco seasoning and Italian seasoning.
I added the shrimp to the hot skillet and let the shrimp cook.
When the shrimp was finished I removed the shrimp and veggies from the pan and then added about 2 TBS of butter and about 1-1 1/2 cups of shrimp stock I had defrosted from the freezer.
I let the sauce cook down a few minutes and used a spoon to scrape the bits off of the bottom of the pan. Then I added the juice from half a lemon and added the shrimp and veggies back to the pan.
While the sauce was cooking and after the grits were done I added about 2TBs of butter and about 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to the grits. That is it supper fast and easy. We put our grits in a bowl then topped them with the shrimp and sauce. I am already thinking about how I could improve the recipe or change it up some but it was quite tasty the way it was.


Shrimp Stock

Shrimp shells
Water
Italian seasoning

combine in a pot and simmer with lid on until dark colored. Add salt to taste if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment